This is my version of this popular Andhra style Raw Jackfruit Curry called Panasa Pottu Kura. It is typically cooked with some ground mustard paste, which I avoided this time. Onions may or may not be added. Can be had as a side dish with either sambar rice / curd rice or with chapattis.
- 1 small raw jackfruit, boiled & sliced finely
- 2-3 tbsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 dry red chilies, broken
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp. urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tbsp. chana dal (Bengal gram)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder or to taste
- 1 tsp. sambar powder
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- coriander leaves to ganish
Heat oil in a pan and temper with mustard seeds and red chilies. After it stops spluttering, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, urad dal and chana dal. Saute till the dals changes colour.
Add the onion and the garlic and fry till light brown. Then add the sliced jackfruit, salt, turmeric powder, red chili powder and sambar powder and continue to fry for 2-3 minutes on low flame.
When done, add the lime juice and mix well. Serve, garnished with coriander leaves.