This can be a perfect party appetizer. Made from some leftover Idiyappam (string hoppers) and ground urad dal. My first try and they came out absolutely yummy. So go ahead and give it a try and surprise your loved ones. Serve along with tomato sauce, green chutney, mayo or hummus. They can also be relished as a side dish with dal chawal, curd rice or sambar rice.
- 1 cup leftover Idiyappam
- 1/4 cup split urad dal (black gram) soaked for 3-4 hours
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili flakes
- 1 tsp. ginger, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. coriander roots, chopped
- 1 tsp. kasuri methi, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida
- pinch of baking soda
- oil to deep fry
Grind the soaked dal with very little water into a paste. Mix together all the ingredients (except oil) and keep aside for 5-10 minutes.
Heat oil in a pan and drop spoonfuls of the batter. Fry on a medium flame till golden in colour. Drain on a kitchen towel and serve with tomato sauce, chutney, mayo or hummus.