This is a healthy soup of roasted Moong Dal, combined with tomatoes and a handful of coriander leaves. It is in a curried form and can be had along with some bread sticks or croutons for a wholesome light meal. As it is rich in proteins, they are very helpful for weight watchers. A dollop of butter and a sprinkle of red chili flakes / pepper powder or a dash of lime adds a punch to this hearty soup.
- 1 cup moong dal, dry roasted
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (opt)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1" ginger, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- handful of coriander leaves
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp. whole garam masala (cinnamon, cardamoms & cloves)
- salt to taste
- pinch of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. roasted coriander powder
- 1 tsp. roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder or to taste
- 3 cups water / vegetable stock
- coriander leaves to garnish
- 1/2 tsp. chili flakes to garnish
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
Pressure cook the tomatoes in 1 cup water for 2 whistles. Blend when cool and strain. Keep aside. Heat oil in a pan and saute the whole garam masala and bay leaf.
Add the onion, ginger and garlic and fry till translucent. Add the roasted moong dal, coriander leaves, all the powdered masalas and 2 cups water / stock. Pressure cook for 3-4 whistles.
When cool, discard the bay leaf and the whole garam masalas. Blend in a mixie and add the tomato puree to it.
Adjust the stock according to the consistency desired. Just before serving, heat through and add the lime juice. Serve, garnished with coriander leaves and chili flakes.