This is an amazing side dish where baby eggplants are slit and stuffed with some aromatic spice mix and then slow cooked to perfection. Non Eggplant lovers too will simply love this preparation. Enjoy it with parathas or chapattis or as a side dish with curd-rice, sambar rice, jeera rice or a simple dal-chawal. Please check for a step by step method with pictures to prepare it.
- 10-12 small eggplants. slit in the center
- 2 tbsp. fresh grated coconut
- 3 tbsp. fried peanuts, ground
- salt to taste
- handful of coriander leaves, chopped (for the stuffing)
- 1-2 tbsp. red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp. roasted coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. coriander leaves to garnish
In a bowl, combine together all the above mentioned ingredients (except eggplants and oil) with some water to form a paste.
Now stuff it in all the slit eggplants and keep aside. Heat oil in a pan and carefully place them on it and sprinkle some salt over it.
Cover and cook on a low flame by turning them with a spoon / fork at intervals. Sprinkle water too as and when needed.
When the eggplants turns soft and are cooked, switch off the flame and gently transfer them to a serving dish. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve as a side dish with either rice or chapattis.