A great way to use all your leftover idlis. Can be had for breakfast or as an evening snack with your tea. A simple addition of any idli podi will just transfer this plain dish into an exotic one. I like using the nalla karam podi because of its distinctive flavour. So it is a very quick and an easy snack item to satiate your hunger pangs.
- 8-10 leftover idlis, each chopped into four
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1/2 tsp. mustard oil
- 1 whole dry chilly, broken
- 1 tsp. urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 tbsp. chana dal (Bengal gram)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp. nalla karam podi / any idli podi
- coriander leaves and chopped green chilies to garnish
Heat oil and temper with whole dry chilly and mustard seeds. After it stops spluttering, add the asafoetida, curry leaves, urad and chana dal. Saute till light brown.
Add the chopped idli, nalla karam podi and salt. Mix well and fry for a minute or two. Serve, garnished with coriander leaves and chopped green chilies. Can be had with coconut chutney or simply as it is.