This is a famous and a yummy Mumbai style street food / chaat liked by all I am sure. This is my favourite too. The main ingredient is puffed rice which is served along with boiled potatoes, tomatoes, onion, chilies, sev, papdi and different types of spicy and tangy chutneys.
It goes very well as a snack or can be enjoyed anytime of the day. In fact it can be had as a light dinner too. It is a very easy recipe where you need to just combine all the ingredients and have them as quickly as possible before it gets soggy. Make it at home now by following my simple and an easy step by step pictorial recipe to prepare it.
- 2-3 cups puffed rice, slightly dry roasted & cooled
- 1/2 cup mixture / farsan
- 5-6 papdis, crushed
- 1/2 cup fine sev (savoury noodles)
- 1/2 cup boiled potatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves, chopped
- 2-3 tbsp. roasted peanuts
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1/2-1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/2-1 tsp. pepper powder
- 1/2-1 tsp. chaat masala
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. lime juice
- sweet tamarind chutney as required
- green chutney as required
- red chili-garlic chutney as required
- 1 tsp. each of coriander leaves and sev to garnish
In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients (except the chutneys). Now add in 2-3 tsp. each of the chutneys and give it a quick stir.
Transfer to a serving bowl or in individual bowls. Garnish with coriander leaves and sev. Lastly drizzle some of the chutneys and serve immediately for a delicious evening snack.
Mix together puffed rice, farsan and crushed papdis.
Add sev, onions,
boiled potatoes, tomatoes, green chilies,
peanuts, coriander leaves,
all the dry spices
and the chutneys.
Mix everything well.
Serve, garnish with sev, coriander leaves & a drizzle of chutneys.