This is a hearty and a wholesome dish from the Northern regions of India, especially Punjab. It is the most common item on the menu of any given restaurant and is equally enjoyed by everyone. After Tandoori Chicken and Butter Chicken, this dish has gained worldwide recognition outside India too. Served mostly in dhabas across the country, it remains the most popular side dish. It especially tastes yummy with tandoori roti or butter naan.
- 500 gms. boneless chicken, cubed
- 2-3 bunches spinach, blanched and pureed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tbsp. ghee (clarified butter)
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp. red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1/2 cup yoghurt, well beaten
- 1 tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves), crushed
- onion rings, lemon wedges and green / red chilies to garnish
Grind the onions, tomatoes and ginger-garlic paste. Keep aside. Heat 1 tbsp.oil and shallow fry the chicken cubes till light brown. Keep aside.
Add the remaining oil and ghee. Saute the paste till oil separates from the sides of the pan. Then add the pureed spinach, chicken, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, yoghurt, 2 tbsp. water and garam masala powder.
Continue to simmer on low flame till the gravy is slightly thick. Serve, garnished with kasuri methi, butter, onion rings, lemon wedges and chillies. Best had with tandoori roti or naan.