Curry leaves podi varies from region to region. This aromatic and simple powder, which can be easily made at home is taken along with dosa, idli, upma and also with rice. Do not forget to add some ghee to it. For a more healthier version, olive oil can be used.
Another innovative use of this, is that it can be prepared and stored away to be used later. To make your meals more interesting, try using it as a spread on bread and chapatti along with some melted butter or for a more Indian version, spread it on pizza's, hot dogs and burgers.
- 2 cups curry leaves, sun dried or pan roasted
- 3 tbsp. chana dal (bengal gram)
- 3 tbsp. urad dal (split black gram)
- 2 tbsp. whole coriander seeds
- 8 whole red chillies or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. amchur
- 1 garlic clove (opt)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida (hing)
Dry roast the urad dal, chana dal, coriander seeds, garlic, methi and red chilies. When cool, grind along with curry leaves. Then mix with amchur, salt and hing.
Your curry leaves podi is ready. Store in an airtight container and serve along with some ghee or oil with dosa or idli.