Want a simple side dish to go with either rice or chapattis? Then try this chatpata version of an easy stir fry of kabuli chana. It is sauteed with some chopped garlic, achari masala, amchur powder and red chili powder, thus giving it a spicy, tangy and a garlicky flavour.
You can also add some bottled pickle too instead of the achari masala to enhance the flavour of your dish. It is perfect as a side dish with either rice or chapattis. Kabuli chana can also be substituted with black chana, paneer or boiled potatoes.
- 1/2 cup Kabuli Chana (white chickpeas), boiled
- 1/2 tsp. mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 3-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1 tsp. roasted Achari powder (equal quantities of fennel, mustard, cumin, fenugreek & kalonji (nigella) seeds)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. amchur (mango powder)
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp. oil
- coriander leaves, lemon wedges & fresh red chilies to garnish
Heat oil in a pan and temper with mustard seeds and cumin seeds. After it stops spluttering, add the chopped garlic and stir till it slightly changes colour.
Then add the chili powder, followed by the tomatoes. Saute till the tomatoes are well mashed up. Now add the boiled chana, panch phoron powder, salt, amchur powder, chopped green chilies and turmeric powder.
Saute for a minute or two. Serve, garnished with coriander leaves, lemon wedges and fresh red chilies.