The numerous benefits of the humble curry leaves are quite well known. They are good not only for our hair, but also for the eyes, is good in digestion and is also good in lowering the bad cholesterol. These are few of the benefits. It also has a number of nutrients like calcium, fibre, iron, vitamins, etc.
So here is a simple, easy and wholesome rice dish made out of curry leaves powder. Any left over rice can be used up to make this aromatic rice preparation. It can be relished as a lunch box meal by young and old alike.
- 1/2 cup raw rice, cooked & cooled
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 dry red chili, broken into half
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- pinch of asafoetida
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 tbsp. urad dal (split black gram)
- 2 tbsp. roasted peanuts
- 8-10 roasted cashewnuts
- salt to taste
- 2-3 tbsp. curry leaves powder
Heat oil in a pan and temper with the dry red chili and mustard seeds. After it stops spluttering,add the asafoetida, curry leaves and urad dal.
Saute till the dal turns light brown. Add the roasted peanuts, cashewnuts, rice, salt and curry leaves powder.
Mix well and stir fry on medium flame for a minute or two. Serve, accompanied with some papad or pickle.
Curry Leaves Powder
- 2 cups curry leaves, sun dried or pan roasted
- 3 tbsp. chana dal (Bengal gram)
- 3 tbsp. urad dal (split black gram)
- 2 tbsp. whole coriander seeds
- 8 whole red chillies or to taste
- 1/2 tsp. amchur
- 1 garlic clove (opt)
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. methi seeds (fenugreek seeds)
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida (hing)
Dry roast the urad dal, chana dal, coriander seeds, garlic, methi and red chilies. When cool, grind along with curry leaves. Then mix with amchur, salt and hing.
Your curry leaves podi is ready. Store in an airtight container and serve along with some ghee or oil with dosa or idli.