This is a healthy and a nutritious salad in a Thai style which is spicy, tangy and sweet. The dressing gives a very unique flavour and taste to it. The crushed peanuts gives a crunchy effect. It can be made into a veg. version too by simply omitting the shrimps. This is my version of Som Tam, where I made a few alterations depending on the availability of the ingredients and to suit my palate.
- 200 gms green papaya, grated
- handful of bean sprouts
- 1 tomato, deseeded & cut into strips
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped (opt)
- 8-10 green beans, cut into 1" pieces & blanched
- 1 onion, sliced / 1/4 cup spring onions, chopped
- 10-12 paneer / tofu cubes, shallow fried
- few sprigs of coriander leaves, chopped
- salt to taste / 1 tsp. soya sauce / fish sauce
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder / chili flakes
- 1-2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. pepper powder or to taste (opt)
- 1 tsp. honey / sugar
- 2 tbsp. roasted peanuts, coarsely ground
- 10-12 shrimps, shallow fried
In a bowl, combine all the above ingredients (except the dressing). Keep aside. Mix all the dressing ingredients in a bowl and keep aside.
Just before serving, pour the dressing on the prepared salad and Toss well. Serve, garnished with the roasted peanuts and the fried shrimps. Yummy Thai salad is ready for you.