A delicious and a nutritious Italian soup which has all the goodness of vegetables and greens. It serves as a one-pot meal and is very healthy and filling at the same time. Carrots, potatoes, zucchini, mushrooms or broccoli can also be added to the soup. In short, any vegetables you can lay your hands on. Boiled and shredded chicken or mutton pieces can also be added for a non-veg. version.
- 1-2 onions, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup french beans, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup kidney beans (rajma), boiled
- 1/2 cup white chick peas (kabuli chana), boiled
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup assorted Bell peppers, diced
- 3 1/2 cups stock (vegetable / chicken / mutton)
- 3 tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1/2 cup pasta, boiled
- few spinach leaves, chopped
- few parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp. dried herbs (sage, oregano, rosemary basil)
- 1 tbsp. cheese, grated
Blanch the tomatoes in hot water for 5 minutes. Discard the skin and chop them. Heat oil in a deep pan and saute the bay leaves and garlic for a few seconds.
Add the onion and fry till translucent. Then add the french beans and celery and stir for a minute. Now add the stock and simmer on low flame till the veggies are soft.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste and bell peppers and simmer for a minute or two. Then add the boiled kidney beans, chick peas. boiled pasta, spinach leaves, parsley, dried herbs, salt and pepper.
Simmer for 2 minutes. Ladle into soup bowls and serve, garnished with grated cheese.