This is a simple and a very easy snack item made with any leftover Idiyappam (String Hoppers). In fact, it happens to be a very popular breakfast in Kerala. Very delicious, healthy and wholesome, they can be relished as an evening tea-time snack along with coconut chutney. Fresh grated coconut serves as a perfect garnish and is also a great option for a lunch box meal.
- 3 leftover idiyappam balls, shredded
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1 tsp. urad dal (split black gram)
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1" ginger grated
- 1 cup frozen mixed veggies
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder (opt)
- 2-3 tbsp. roasted peanuts
- 1 tbsp. curry leaves podi / any idli podi
- coriander leaves to garnish
Heat oil in a non-stick pan and temper with mustard seeds and green chilies. After it stops spluttering, add the curry leaves, urad dal and ginger. Saute for a few seconds.
Now add the mixed veggies and continue to fry for a minute. Then add the shredded idiyappam, roasted peanuts, salt and turmeric powder.
Saute on med. flame for 2-3 minutes. When done, sprinkle the curry leaves podi and serve, garnished with coriander leaves.