This is a Vietnamese style comforting breakfast of chicken and rice congee. It is also a common meal that is relished for lunch and dinner. A wholesome and a nutritious first meal of the day is a heart warming and a soothing food that needs to be had to believe.
It can never be that simple and easy. Very few ingredients are required to dish out this amazing and yummy one-pot wonder. The thickness of the porridge can be adjusted according to individual preference.
- 1/4 cup rice, soaked for 2-3 hours
- 3 cups chicken stock
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. sugar (opt)
- 1/2 cup boiled & shredded chicken
- 1/4 tsp. pepper powder
- 1-2 tbsp. chopped spring onion
- 1-2 tbsp. coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp. lime juice (opt)
- 1 fresh red chili, chopped (opt)
Bring the stock to a boil. Then add the rice, sugar and salt. Simmer and cook till the rice becomes soft and mushy. (Alternatively it can be pressure cooked for 8-10 minutes on a low flame after the first whistle.
Garnish with pepper powder, shredded chicken, spring onion, coriander leaves, fried onion, lime juice and fresh chilies. Serve as an one-pot meal.
1. 1-2 chicken cubes for the stock and mashed leftover rice can be made use of for an instant version.