Macher Chop or Fish Cutlet is a very simple and an easy to prepare recipe, that serves as perfect appetizers in any in-house party. They are usually made with Rohu or Bhetki fillet. They are coated with egg wash and bread crumbs and deep fried.
Potatoes can be used for the binding, but here I have used some brown bread and paneer. A very favourite snack, they are a common sight in almost all street corners in Kolkata. These yummy snacks are relished with ketchup and some onions as accompaniment.
- 1 1/2 cups fish fillet, boiled & flaked
- 2-3 tbsp. paneer, grated
- 3 brown bread, soaked in water for a few seconds & squeezed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- handful of coriander leaves, chopped
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp. roasted cumin powder
- 2 cups bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten with a pinch of salt
- oil to deep fry
In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients, except oil, egg and bread crumbs. Divide into equal portions and shape each into small round balls. Refrigerate for an hour.
Dip each of the balls in the egg and coat with the bread crumbs. Heat oil in a deep pan and fry the chops, few at a time till golden brown in colour. Drain on a paper napkin and serve, hot with tomato ketchup.