This hot and spicy 'Garlic Chutney' in the Maharashtrian style is a must have with Vada Pav. They compliment each other very well, without which, it simply tastes insipid. It is sprinkled between the pav halves along with the vada, green chutney and tamarind - sweet chutney.
This delicious dry chutney can be prepared in large quantities and stored in airtight containers in the refrigerator for a couple of days. I sometimes use it to garnish my curries, dal or simply have it with hot steamed rice and ghee. It simply tastes divine.
- 2-3 tbsp. garlic, chopped & fried in 1 tsp. oil
- 2 tbsp. dry roasted fresh grated coconut / dry coconut
- 1 tbsp. kashmiri red chili powder or for taste
- 1 tbsp. sesame seeds, dry roasted
- 2 tbsp. fried peanuts
- 1/2 tsp. roasted cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp. roasted coriander powder
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. amchur powder (dry mango powder)
Grind the fried garlic, dry roasted coconut, fried peanuts and dry roasted sesame seeds into a powder. Then mix with the red chilli powder, salt, cumin powder, coriander powder and amchur powder.
Alternately, put all the ingredients in the mixie and grind to a fine powder. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator for a week to ten days.
They are a good accompaniment for vada pav. They can also be used for curries and dal. It tastes divine if had with hot steamed rice and ghee.