An unusual dish made with the stems from the coriander leaves and spinach leaves. These are generally discarded, but as they have the most nutrients, I decided to make use of them in the form of a simple stir fry.
- stems from 2 bunches of coriander leaves, chopped
- stems from 1 bunch of spinach leaves, chopped
- 1/2 cup prawns, stir fried in one 1 tsp. oil for a minute
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. garlic, chopped
- 1-2 dry red chilies
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp. red chili powder or to taste
- 2 tbsp. mustard oil
- 1/2 tsp. kalonji (nigella seeds)
- 1/2 tsp. roasted panch phoron powder (equal quantity of fennel, mustard, cumin, fenugreek & nigella (kalonji) seeds
Heat oil in a pan and temper with kalonji and red chilies. After a few seconds, add the onions and garlic and saute till light brown.
Now add the chopped stems, salt, turmeric powder and red chili powder and fry on low flame for 4-5 minutes till the stems are soft.
When done add the fried prawns and the panch phoron powder and mix well. Serve as a side dish.