It is a traditional Punjabi dal preparation which is had with tandoori roti. It is very common in every Punjabi homes and dhabas. Onion rings and green chilies are served along with this delicious meal.
- 1 cup chana dal (Bengal gram), soaked for an hour
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp. asafoetida (hing)
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. coriander-cumin powder
- 1 tsp. kasuri methi (dry fenugreek leaves)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- coriander leaves / mint leaves to garnish
Pressure cook the dal in 2 cups water till soft but not mushy. Keep aside. Heat oil and ghee and temper with cumin seeds and asafoetida. After a few seconds, add the onion and saute till light brown.
Add the ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin powder, garam masala powder and chili powder mixed with a little water.
Saute till oil separates from the sides of the pan. Add the boiled dal, salt and kasuri methi. Simmer on low flame for 2-3 minutes. Serve, garnished with mint / coriander leaves.